Aleteia logoAleteia logoAleteia
Thursday 30 June |
Aleteia logo
Inspiring Stories
separateurCreated with Sketch.

2-year-old boy saves his family from fire they couldn’t smell

BRANDON

Courtesy of Kayla Dahl

Maria Paola Daud - published on 02/22/22

"Mama, hot. Mama, hot," he said. Those two words saved the lives of all 7 people in the house, who were affected by COVID-19.

Many people are struggling with the aftereffects of the coronavirus. Kayla and Nathan Dahl are parents from Alvord, Texas, who are among the many people who have lost their sense of taste and smell due to COVID-19. 

On the morning of January 15, 2022, around 4:30 a.m., 2-year-old Brandon, the youngest of the family’s 5 children, approached his parents’ bed. 

They were sound asleep, and he began to tug on his mom Kayla’s foot, saying only two words, among the few that a little two-year-old manages to utter. “Mama, hot. Mama, hot,” Kayla Dahl told Good Morning America.

Those two words, however, would save the lives of the entire family, which at that moment was in grave danger. 

Kayla thought her little boy was hot and wanted her to get him out of his pajamas. However, when she looked toward her bedroom door leading to the living room, she saw that everything was engulfed in flames. 

Despite being new, none of the smoke detectors in their home went off until the family was already out of the house, and Kayla and Nathan hadn’t noticed the smoke filling their home. 

Fortunately, Nathan Dahl is a volunteer with the local fire department, so he was prepared for this type of emergency. He told local channel WFAA, “We’ve had a plan. This is how everything’s going to go.”

They immediately ran to save their other 4 children, and the whole family escaped the fire unharmed, although unfortunately they lost their house and all of their belongings.

“Everything is gone. We lost my car. Everything inside the house,” Kayla told Good Morning America. However, they were left with the most precious thing—their lives—thanks to little Brandon. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by WFAA (@wfaa)

“Brandon saved us. He was wrapped in God’s arms to help protect him and to make sure that our entire family was able to get out,” Kayla told the ABC news show. “He saved our entire family. He’s our little mini hero,” she said to WFAA. “Brandon definitely had a guardian angel help him get out of that living room,” she added. “It’s honestly nothing short of a miracle. An absolute miracle.” Her husband echoed the sentiment.

The family are slowly getting back on their feet with the help of neighbors, friends, and family. Many strangers are pitching in because the news has gone viral, thanks to the amazing bravery of their little two-year-old boy. 

Although, as his mother Kayla says, he still does not understand the impact of what he did, for the moment he’s enjoying a lot of attention from whoever meets him at the supermarket or gas station. He gets a lot of pats on the back, handshakes, and the words: “You’re a hero.”

For a full account of the event, you can watch this video from WFAA channel 8:

Tags:
ChildrenInspiring stories
Support Aleteia!

Enjoying your time on Aleteia?

Articles like these are sponsored free for every Catholic through the support of generous readers just like you.

Thanks to their partnership in our mission, we reach more than 20 million unique users per month!

Help us continue to bring the Gospel to people everywhere through uplifting and transformative Catholic news, stories, spirituality, and more.

Support Aleteia with a gift today!

Top 10
See More
Newsletter
Get Aleteia delivered to your inbox. Subscribe here.